MA in Special Education - Autism

Program Overview |  Getting Started  |  Institution and Advisor  |  FAQs 

Program Overview

The Master of Arts in Special Education - Autism Online program, offered by the University of Texas of the Permian Basin (UTPB), prepares proficient and skilled professionals for high-demand careers serving individuals on the autistic spectrum. This 36-credit hour program can be completed in as little as 12 months, and is designed for certified K-12 educators who wish to prepare for a career in this field. A teaching certificate is not needed to apply to this program.

The University Certificate in Autism and Developmental Disabilities can be earned at the post-baccalaureate level by successfully completing four courses. A teaching certificate is required in order to participate in the University Certificate program.

Many MA in Special Education - Autism Online program courses are open to cross-campus enrollment. Check with your academic advisor prior to registering for any of these courses to ensure that they apply toward your degree program.

To view MA in Special Education - Autism Online program courses currently open for cross-campus enrollment, go the Student Portal Course Schedule and select Special Education-Autism (MA) from the Finish@UT Program menu, or search for a specific course name/number. UT Permian Basin students should refer to the UTPB Course Schedule and register directly through your home campus.

Getting Started

To participate in the program you must apply to and be accepted by UT Permian Basin. Application deadlines, requirements and more can be found on the MA in Special Education - Autism Online program page.

Refer to the Student Support section of our website for additional information on cross-campus registration, course access and campus contacts.

Institution and Advisor

UT Permian Basin

Degree Awarded: Master of Arts in Special Education - Autism Online

Program Contact:

Dr. Kara Rosenblatt

(432) 552-2128 |

or, email the College of Education Graduate Advising office


Frequently Asked Questions

How much will it cost?

Refer to the MA in Special Education - Autism Online program page for tuition costs.

Are campus visits required?

The courses for the master’s degree are offered completely online.

Can this 36-credit master’s degree serve as sufficient credential for someone with a non-education based bachelor’s to begin teaching special education? Does a student need to be already certified in teaching to apply?

The program provides a strong base for those interested in obtaining initial certification as a special education teacher. An initial teaching certificate is not a requirement for application. However, students seeking initial certification in special education may be required by the state of Texas to take additional practicum courses not offered as part of this online program. Please contact the program contact for more information.

Does the online program offer additional coursework for Professional Educational Diagnostician licensure?

No. The program provides a strong base for those interested in becoming educational diagnosticians, although this online program does not offer the full suite of courses necessary for certification as a diagnostician. (The additional nine credits for diagnostician certification are offered on the UTPB campus during the summer on a two year cycle/odd numbered years. Please contact the Program Coordinator for more information.)

Is the UT Permian Basin School of Education accredited?

The School of Education at The University of Texas of the Permian Basin is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). This accreditation covers initial teacher preparation programs and advanced educator preparation programs. NCATE is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation to accredit programs for the preparation of teachers and other professional school personnel.

Do school districts offer incentives to teachers moving into the field of special education?

Districts quite often (but not always) offer additional compensation for teachers in special education, particularly in the area of behavior disorders.

How can I find more information?

Review the MA in Special Education -Autism Online website, and reach out to the program advisor listed above if you have additional questions about the program.