MA in Special Education

Program Overview |  Getting Started  |  Institution and Contact  |  FAQs 

Program Overview

The Master of Arts in Education-Special Education offered by the University of Texas of the Permian Basin (UTPB) prepares proficient and skilled professionals for high-demand careers in special education school settings and other related disability fields. This 36-hour program is designed for individuals wanting to prepare for a career in special education, including in supervisory positions such as Curriculum Specialist and Manager or Director of Special Education Programs. Teacher certification is not a prerequisite for admission.

Many MA in Special Education courses are open to cross-campus enrollment. Check with your academic advisor prior to registering for any of these courses to ensure that they apply toward your degree program.

To view MA in Special Education program courses currently open for cross-campus enrollment, go the Student Portal Course Schedule and select Special Education (MA) from the Finish@UT Program menu, or search for a specific course name/number. UT Permian Basin students should refer to the UTPB Course Schedule and register directly through your home campus.

Getting Started

To participate in the program you must apply to and be accepted by UT Permian Basin. Application deadlines, requirements, and more can be found on the MA in Special Education program website.

Refer to the Student Support section of our website for additional information on cross-campus registration, course access and campus contacts.

Institution and Contact

UT Permian Basin

Degree Awarded: Master of Arts in Special Education

Program Contact:

UTPB Online Programs (877) 588-3305

Frequently Asked Questions

How much will it cost?

Estimated campus tuition and fees information can be found on the Tuition, Payments & Financial Aid page.

Are campus visits required?

The courses are offered fully-online. If a course requires field-based experience/practicum it is noted in the course description.

Do school districts offer incentives to teachers moving into the field of special education?

Districts quite often (but not always) offer additional compensation for teachers in special education, particularly in the area of behavior disorders.

How can I find more information?

Please contact UTPB Online programs at the phone number listed above if you have additional questions about the program.