The Office of Budget and Planning has developed an automated request process for the common request types; Budget Adjustment Requests (under construction) and Carryforward Requests.
Budget Adjustment Requests
The Office of Budget and Planning is currently working on an automated process to collect budget adjustment/transfer request information and provide confirmation to department heads and requestors once requests are processed. Departments will be notified when this functionality is available.
It is UT System Administration's policy to lapse unexpended departmental budget balances at the end of each fiscal year. To account for special needs such as one-time purchases that cannot be accommodated with new fiscal year funds, a request may be submitted to for funds for a specific purpose. The request will be reviewed by the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Budget and Planning and make recommendations to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs.
Completing the request form
Please read the information below before accessing the Carryforward Request Form linked below.
- The On-line Carryforward Request Form cannot be saved therefore all necessary information should be gathered before beginning the submission process. To assist departments, a Carryforward Information Form has been created that can be used internally by departments to gather information and seek necessary approvals. This form is NOT to be used in lieu of completing the On-line Carryforward Request Form but may be attached to the request as supporting documentation.
- A separate form is needed for each carryforward request/cost center/budgetary account.
- Provide a detailed description of the item or items being requested. If the space provided is not adequate, the ability to attach additional documentation is available.
- To receive a record of the request being submitted, check the box next to “Send me a copy of my responses” and provide your email address. A record will be emailed to you.
- Once submitted, a blank form will be loaded so additional requests can be submitted.
CARRYFORWARD REQUEST FORM - Form is not longer available. If you have a carryforward that was not submitted, contact GRP-BudAction.
- Carryforward Request outcomes will be communicated via an email to Department Heads and Requestors. This email will include an auto-generated Outcomes Report for all Carryforward Requests from the department.
- For approved requests, the lesser amount of the funds requested, or the actual year-end balance will be carried forward.
- Carryforward funds are not available in department cost centers until the first part of October.
Most Purchase Orders (POs) will come forward into the new year properly during the year-end process administered by the Contracts and Procurement (CNP) Department. The Budget Team will grant budget for these types of POs at the beginning of September. Partially fulfilled POs will not typically roll forward properly. For these POs, CNP will close the PO (Purchase Orders) in PeopleSoft and encumbered funds related to the PO will not roll forward to the new year. CNP will notify departments if this occurs. In the event your department has an outstanding PO that does not roll forward, it may be included with your department’s carry forward request. Contact the Budget Team (GRP-BudAction) with any questions.
Board approved initiatives (e.g., Clinical Data Network) will not have balances lapsed; these balances will be carried forward usually as reserves (A9000). It is appropriate to include requests for A4000 budget authority in these initiatives for the new year as part of the carryforward process to ensure authority is available when needed.
Please click the link below for examples of carryforward scenarios and how they may be handled.