Giving back to our community is an important component of living a wellness lifestyle. UT System Wellness has created System Service that provides opportunities for our employees to serve the community in which we live, work and play. Read below for ongoing volunteer opportunities.
Meals on Wheels: Want to make a difference during your lunch break? Volunteer for Meals on Wheels and More! When you volunteer for Meals on Wheels and More during your lunch hour, you’re doing your part to guarantee meals are delivered to the almost 5,000 people in need in the Austin area. You can volunteer to deliver meals once a week or once a month – whatever works best for you!
Meals on Wheels and More volunteers deliver hot, nutritious lunch-time meals to the homes of eight to twelve homebound elderly or disabled clients who can no longer prepare balanced meals for themselves. Volunteers arrive at the Central Kitchen at 3227 E. 5th St., 78702 between 11:00-11:45 to pick up the meals then head out to their route. The time from meal collection to the final delivery usually takes about one hour. Contact Trisha Meloncon for information on the UT System Friday routes.
Why should I volunteer with Meals on Wheels?
- It is easy to sign up and get started: The first steps to become a Meals on Wheels volunteer include filling out an application and watching the training video on our volunteer site. You are welcome to join one of our delivery teams on Wednesday or Friday to see how it works.
- You can meet a co-worker: Volunteers are from different departments at UT System Administration and it’s a great way to meet some of your co-workers.
- You will make a difference in someone’s day and life: You may be the only person the clients will see or talk to all day. By delivering meals you bring nutritious food and a friendly visit to seniors and people with disabilities in our community.
How do I volunteer?
- Visit https://www.mealsonwheelscentraltexas.org/get-involved/meals-on-wheels for eligibility requirements and contact info.
- Contact Trisha Meloncon if you're interested in a ride along.
To read more about MOW and other opportunities offered visit https://www.mealsonwheelscentraltexas.org/.