March 18, 2020 > Telemedicine Services during COVID-19
March 10, 2020 > Key Benefits Details
Telemedicine Services during COVID-19
March 18, 2020
The University of Texas Office of Employee Benefits (OEB) continues to look for ways to assist the UT SELECT and UT CONNECT members during this rapidly evolving situation. We have some good news to share.
Working with BCBSTX, the telehealth options available to our members will be expanding. Previously, telehealth procedures were excluded from benefits, but now these procedure codes will allow benefits for both medical and behavioral health services during the COVID-19 situation. Some important details to note:
- BCBSTX is working on updating the Health Advocate resources to ensure accurate information is provided to members inquiring about the availability of telehealth services beyond MDLIVE.
- “Office visit” level benefits will apply to telehealth services rendered by any eligible network provider other than MDLIVE (MDLIVE is covered at 100%). Since members might be accessing services for medical conditions beyond COVID-19 based on their providers' ability to render the service, this measure will enable members to access care while maintaining social distancing.
- Telehealth services rendered by an out of network provider will apply out of network benefits.
As with any change of this significance, it might take time for the information to make its way to the individual provider billing offices. Therefore, we ask for your assistance and patience as BCBSTX works to share this information across their provider network.
For UT SELECT member questions regarding services and/or this benefit enhancement, call your Blue Cross and Blue Shield Health Advocate at 866-882-2034.
For UT CONNECT, please contact the CONNECT customer service team at 888-399-8889.
Key Benefits Details
March 10, 2020
The University of Texas Office of Employee Benefits (OEB) is closely monitoring activity around the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). We are committed to assisting those who might be affected and helping our members and institutions stay informed about benefits related to COVID-19.
The following key details may be helpful for you and your family should you need care related to COVID-19:
Effective immediately, the UT SELECT and UT CONNECT plans will not require prior authorization and will waive member copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles associated with testing for COVID-19 when medically necessary and consistent with Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidance.
- With regard to treatment for COVID-19, UT SELECT and UT CONNECT will cover medically necessary services consistent with the terms of each plan, including physician services, hospitalization, and emergency services.
- A primary care physician copayment will apply for medically necessary treatment delivered to a patient who may be quarantined under CDC guidelines in a setting other than inpatient.
- For specific questions about your UT SELECT coverage, members should call your Blue Cross and Blue Shield Health Advocate at 866-882-2034. For UT CONNECT, please contact the CONNECT customer service team at 888-399-8889.
- Virtual doctor visits through MDLIVE continue to be available with no out-of-pocket costs and can be used when appropriate.
- Any person experiencing illness should contact their doctor or MDLIVE.
- Should members need to access an early refill of prescription medication, they may do so through their UT SELECT and UT CONNECT prescription benefits. Express Scripts, our pharmacy benefit manager, has lifted the “refill too soon” limitations to accommodate early refills for prescription medications up to a 90-day supply.
- All other UT Benefits programs will continue to operate according to the plan specifications outlined here. This includes dental, vision, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, and Life Insurance. For disability and life insurance purposes, COVID-19 will be considered just like any other illness.
OEB and our business partners will continue to work together to ensure business continuity. Our primary goal continues to be that you and your family can rely on your UT Benefits to cover the care you need.
Please check with your institution for local information and policies related to COVID-19 that you may need to be aware of.