Main page content
JOE M. KILGORE was born in Brown County, Texas, December 10, 1918, the son of William Henry and Myrtle Armstrong Kilgore; moved to Mission, Texas, in 1929; was educated at Westmoorland College (now Trinity University, San Antonio, Texas and The University of Texas at Austin.
He enlisted in July of 1941 in the United States Air Corps and served in the Mediterranean Theater of Operations as a combat pilot; separated from the service in 1945; was awarded the Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with oak leaf clusters and other decorations; and presently holds the rank of Major General in the Air Force Reserve (Retired).
Mr. Kilgore returned to McAllen and practiced law in Edinburg until sworn in for the Eighty-fourth Congress.
In 1945, he married Jane Redman of San Antonio and they have three sons: Mark, Dean and Bill; and a daughter: Shannon. They are members of the Methodist Church. Mr. Kilgore was elected to the Texas House of Representatives in 1946, served as chairman of the Judiciary Committee, and was re-elected in 1948, 1950 and 1952. He was elected to the 84th Congress November 2, 1954, re-elected to the 85th, 86th, 87th and 88th Congresses and retired from Congress at the end of the 88th Congress to re-enter private practice as a partner in the firm of McGinnis, Lochridge and Kilgore, Austin, Texas (now McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore).
In November 1964, Mr. Kilgore was appointed by Governor John Connally to serve as Chairman, Consulting Advisory Panel for the Water Planning Program of the Texas Water Commission and later for the Texas Water Development Board. In 1967 he was appointed Regent of the University of Texas System by Governor Connally. Mr. Kilgore serves as Vice Chairman of the Texas State Bar Legislative Committee; a member of the Board of the University Methodist Church; a member of the Board of the Wesley Foundation; a member of the Board of Directors of Mission Valley Mills; a member of the Board of Directors of the Austin Chamber of Commerce; and a member of the National Pollution Control Foundation, Inc.
last updated in 1972