UT System ‘Promise’ helps undergraduate students at UT institutions pay for college
As part of its commitment to ensure that all Texans can afford a higher education, the UT System Board of Regents in February 2022 approved the creation of a $300 million endowment.
Called “Promise Plus,” the endowment will help thousands of undergraduate students earn a UT degree at no cost. As the endowment grows, more students will benefit year after year.
Funding from the Promise Plus endowment will be distributed to students at seven UT institutions: UT Arlington, UT Dallas, UT El Paso, UT Permian Basin, UT Rio Grande Valley, UT San Antonio and UT Tyler.
Distributions from the Promise Plus endowment will supplement funding students already receive through campus tuition assistance programs and federal and state aid.
“We are committed to increasing the affordability of a college education for more Texans by lowering the out-of-pocket cost of a UT degree for qualified students. This is an investment in our students, in public higher education and the state of Texas.”
-- Board Chairman Kevin P. Eltife
PROMISE+ AROUND TEXAS
Here’s media coverage of Promise+
- Here’s how more North Texas students can attend a nearby UT System school tuition free, Dallas Morning News, March 18, 2022
- UT Tyler receives $1 million to assist transfer students with Promise Plus scholarship program, Tyler Morning Telegraph, March 14, 2022
- UTPB announces new tuition assistance program, Odessa American, March 15, 2022
- UT San Antonio will get $3M a year to expand free tuition after endowment announcement, San Antonio Express-News, March 14, 2022
- UT Tyler to receive part of $300 million for Promise Plus program to help students pay tuition, KETK-TV, March 14, 2022
- UT announces new tuition assistance endowment, Valley Morning Star, March11, 2022
- UT System’s new Promise Plus program to cover $55 million in tuition for UTEP students in need, Texas Standard, March 11, 2022
- $300M University of Texas endowment to help more students afford college, including at UTEP, El Paso Times, March 10, 2022
- UT System creates $300 million endowment to help seven universities expand free tuition programs, Texas Tribune, February 24, 2022