When the Storm Came: University of Texas institutions respond to Hurricane Harvey
Several UT institutions were in the path of Hurricane Harvey when the historic storm hit the coast of Texas in August 2017. This is their story of preparation, response and recovery.
More examples of UT institutions supporting those impacted by Harvey
- The staff of the UTHealth Harris County Psychiatric Center came together to care for their patients.
- The UTRGV School of Medicine’s mobile clinic traveled to Houston to help.
- Dell Medical School helped provide care at the emergency shelter in Austin.
- As Hurricane Harvey bore down on the Texas coast, UT Southwestern physicians, students, and volunteers mobilized to help.
- Sifting through the cacophony of social media, during a hurricane, for signals we can use to save lives.
- Using a radar-based flood warning system to provide data to emergency planner.
- Planning for the worst, learning from the past, and paying the bills.
How to help
Texans in communities devastated by Hurricane Harvey have begun the long process of rebuilding. As they rebuild, employees across UT System and people across the nation have asked how they can help UT institutions and their employees recover. Financial contributions are the most immediate and efficient way to help an employee in need. Donations can be made at the following sites: