New Employee Checklist
Welcome to The University of Texas System! Here's an easy step-by-step checklist to assist you with completing items required within your first month on the job to ensure you are paid and receive employee benefits in a timely manner.
- New Employee Orientation: You will attend a prescheduled new employee orientation hosted by the Office of Human Resources where you will learn more about working for UT System Administration. You will be asked to present documentation to complete the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification, proof of relationship documents for any family member you'd like to add to insurance coverage, and beneficiary information.
- Payroll, Profile and Personal Information: Please review New Employee Actions in PeopleSoft to learn how to set-up direct deposit, submit your W-4, enter personal information and complete your profile. Please be aware that the Public Information Act allows employees to elect whether to keep certain personal information confidential. Unless you electronically mark that you would like to keep it confidential, information about you (social security number, home address, home telephone number, and Information that reveals whether you have family members) may be subject to public release if requested under the Texas Public Information Act. This election is under the Person Profile (Privacy Elections).
- Health Insurance Marketplace Notice: The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires employers to provide this notice to all employees about the option to shop in the Marketplace (also known as the “exchange”). More information about ACA and UT Select is available on via Office of Employee Benefits.
- Outside Employment: If you are working for another employer while also employed by UT System, you must disclose your outside employment and obtain approval. Prior approvals should be completed through Outside Activity Portal 5-2011. For more information, please visit policy UTS180.
- Employee Resources and Announcements: UT4U provides announcements and links to employee resources, such as policies and procedures, writing standards, employee discount programs and employee directories. We recommend adding this site to your favorites or making it your home page.
- Benefits Offerings: Spend some time reviewing the Benefits page to see the extensive benefits available.
- Benefits Enrollment: After reviewing the New Employee Benefits Enrollment Guide, make your benefit elections electronically following the instructions included in an email you should have received titled “My UT Benefits Enrollment.” Your initial enrollment period ends 31 days from your start date. If you have any questions regarding your benefits options or enrollment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Compliance Training: All training modules issued by the System Administration Compliance Office must be completed within 30 days of your hire date. Most of the modules take approximately 10 to 15 minutes each to complete. You will receive a separate email from the Learning Zone with instructions on completing the compliance training courses.
- Manager Meeting: Talk with your manager about your job description, performance expectations, probationary period and performance evaluation.
- Prior State Service: If you have previous employment with another Texas state agency or Texas public institution of higher education, you will need to send the Prior State Service Verification form to each of those agencies. The agency representative will complete the form and send it back to UT System’s Office of Human Resources. This verification has a direct impact on your vacation accruals and longevity pay. Review the prior state service verification instructions to begin (accessible to active employees only).
- Parking: If you plan to park in the UT System Building garage, you will need to complete the Online Parking Application and obtain a parking permit. You will be asked to provide your vehicle information on the application (you may change your vehicle information at any time). You will also be asked to choose your method of payment. You may list multiple vehicles without additional charge - just transfer your parking pass between vehicles as needed. Please email Jennifer Hosey after you have completed the application to obtain your permit. Staff who are located in off-site buildings must also complete the parking application and select payroll deductions to cover the cost of parking at those locations.
- Gym Wavier: If you plan on using the Wellness Center in the UT System Building, you must complete the online agreement in advance. Once you have submitted the waiver, your employee badge will be coded to provide access to enter the gym.
- Timesheets: Be sure to review Time Reporting for general expectations. Complete your timesheets online in the Employee Timesheet System accessible via UT4U. For assistance, please review the Employee Time Reporting and Leave Balances Manual or contact your department timekeeper.
- Benefits Enrollment: All benefit enrollment forms must be submitted within 31 days of your date of hire. You may enroll without being subject to Evidence of Insurability (EOI) during your initial period of eligibility as a new employee. The link to complete your online enrollment can be found in the email you received titled “My UT Benefits Enrollment.” If you need further assistance or have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
- Inclement Weather Notification: To be notified of any closures or late starts, please update and confirm your personal contact information in the emergency notification system.
- Compliance Training: Make sure you have completed your compliance training in the Learning Zone. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Helpful Information & Links
- Employee Assistance Program
- Payroll Schedule
- PeopleSoft – Update personal contact info, direct deposit, W-4, and view leave balances
- Retirement Programs
- Time Reporting & Leave
- Timesheet System – Report work and absences
- UT4U – Employee announcements and quick access resource
- Wellness Center
UT System Offices
- Office of the Director of the Police (ODOP) – safety and security
- Office of Technology and Information Services (OTIS) – technology
- Office of Risk Management – work related injuries